Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Father of the Revolution: Jamie Oliver Speaks

I'm loving the conversation that's going on about this revolution! But today I'm doing a shout-out to the man who is probably the true father of the "real food" revolution (at least in my mind): Mr. Jamie Oliver. I know I've mentioned him a number of times on this blog, but besides loving his recipes (I happily recommend any of his cookbooks if you're in the market), I love his dedication to teaching children about "real food". Below is a link to a speech he gave earlier on this year. It's a little long (about 20 minutes), but very inspiring and worth finding the time in your day to view it. So I'll afford you a little time to do it by cutting my blog short today. Enjoy and be inspired!
http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html?awesm=on.ted.com_8Qxw&utm_campaign=jamie_oliver&utm_medium=on.ted.com-twitter&utm_source=hootsuite.com&utm_content=ted.com-talkpage

6 comments:

  1. If you had to pick just one of his cookbooks which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do really love them all, but my favorite is "Jamie's Food Revolution". Okay, so I kind of stole his idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the one that I was looking at. I liked watching his show that he had on. Watched it a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love Jamie Oliver! We recently checked out 2 of his cookbooks from the library and are loving them! My kids used to think it was so funny watching his "Naked Chef" show from time to time..they kept expecting him to actually be nude no matter how many times they saw him cooking with his clothes ON.

    So, my pantry is actually surprisingly chill with the food labels b/c we recently moved and I have become a crazy label reader in the last few years. My big flub up is eating out. Ouch. I just looked up online and my last minute drive through with the kids (bean burritos at Taco Bell) was such a let down, even more of a let down than I has prepared myself for. I mean, what was I thinking?!? My rationale was, "at least they aren't eating factory raised and processed mystery meat" by sticking with the beans/cheese, but Lord-could there possibly be more forms of odd stabilizers, hydrogenated oils and so forth in one bean burrito? No, I am done with it. Eeek. Thanks for the label reading encouragement Maile-I just need to sort out the best spots to grab a quick bite with the kids on occasion now.

    Quick reference on food additives:
    http://opposingdigits.com/additives/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I totally have the same issue with eating out. We don't really do it very often but when we do, I cringe to think what might actually be in the food. This leads me to another passion of mine: kicking the chain restaurant habit and sticking to local mom and pop shops. We've made a concerted effort to do this over the past couple of months and are so surprised at the quality of food we're getting for virtually the same price as the chain restaurants. But I guess that doesn't really help you out if you're looking for a drive-thru because they rarely have that convenience. Hmmmm...I'll have to think about that one.

    ReplyDelete