Saturday, September 4, 2010

Forget Food Revolution--Let's have a Water Revolution!

"Real food" is a great passion of mine, but for many folks in our country, and most people in our world, this pursuit of better, healthier food is a luxury. I get to think twice about what I'm putting in front of my children at every meal, while many a mother out there is wondering if she can put anything at all in front of her children.

Sadly, this lack even extends to the more crucial subject of clean water, something so second-nature in our western world, that we simply can't imagine not having access to something as elemental as clean water. Well, a group of 30 bloggers in this big ole' blogosphere have decided to do something about this issue in particular. Today, my husband, Shawn, has been kind enough to guest blog about this project that he is a part of and show you how you can join in and make a difference. Shawn, take it away!

A few weeks ago I got an email from Bryan Allain asking if I wanted to change the world. I said, Of course I want to change the world. He said that Tyler Stanton was trying to get 30 bloggers together to raise $30,000 in 30 days for charity:water. Our goal? To build a well in Africa for people with no access to clean, safe water.

This got me thinking:

I wonder how far away I got today from clean water?

Since I didn't leave the house, the answer is pretty easy - about 20 steps. Any time I get thirsty I stand up, find a clean glass, and turn on the faucet. Easy peasy. Even when I do leave the house, every building I drive past has clean water, and every gas station would be happy to sell it to me. But not everyone has it this easy.

Did you know one billion people on this planet don't have access to clean, safe drinking water?

That's billion with a B, as in 1,000,000,000.

And, according to charity:water, "Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of diseases and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Children are especially vulnerable, as their bodies aren't strong enough to fight diarrhea, dysentery and other illnesses."

This seems ridiculous to me, that I can be no more than 20 steps from drinking water, while 1,000,000,000 on this earth can't get to it. Don't you think?

What if I told you that you could go HERE to track our progress and give whatever amount you'd like to help us reach our goal? What if I told you that a $20 would provide one person with clean water for 20 years? It would be ridiculous not to do that. Don't you think?

* * * * *

Guess what? There's a bigger picture.

I bet you have thirty friends or acquaintances you could band together with to change someone's world. You can do more today for people around the planet than you could ever do before, probably in the history of the world.

Thirty of us, (thanks to Tyler ), are taking 30 days in September and working together, trying to change the world for 1500 people in Africa .

You can join us, or you can find 30 other people and change a different part of the world - so what will you do this month?

Thanks, Shawn, and thanks to you for taking a few moments to read this and get behind a worthwhile movement. If you want to check out more from my talented husband, his writing, and our crazy life together, you can check out his blog here. Have a great Tuesday, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment