Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 9: A Gluten-Free Special

I have just realized that in my past 1 ½ years of blogging, I have already imparted to you some of my most beloved cookie recipes, therefore, you will have to forgive the occasional recipe repeat that may appear on this countdown. Be assured that if a recipe is repeated here, it has happened out of necessity.

Day 9’s inductee into the countdown is really a shout-out to all you gluten-free folks out there. I just want to let everyone know that GF’s still know how to have fun, and this little humdinger proves my point.


This cookie is chocolate on a chocolate high. It’s over the top and that’s why I love it. Sometimes we need to cut loose a little bit, let our hair down and relax. I have really short hair so this is my compromise—I eat one of these.


Many thanks to Bon Appetit for once again splashing life onto my palate by introducing this recipe to me!


Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies


1 1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips, divided


3 large egg whites, room temperature (I didn't have mine at room temperature so I just sat them in a bowl on a towel set on the preheating oven and in about 10 minutes they were just right.)


2 1/2 c. powdered sugar, divided


1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder


1 tbsp. cornstarch


1/4 tsp. salt


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. You could take a gamble and try to make these just by greasing your baking sheets but I like a sure bet like parchment paper; I'm a play-it-safe kind of girl. Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, checking and stirring about every thirty seconds, just until the chips melt and are smooth. Cool slightly.


Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 c. sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow creme. Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. On low speed, beat dry ingredients into meringue. Stir in lukewarm chocolate and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dough will become very stiff).


Place 1/2 c. sugar in bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; roll in sugar, coating thickly. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2-inches apart. Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment