Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 5 of the Countdown: The Great Pumpkin Cookie

Forgive me for tooting my own horn again, but once more I must pull a recipe from the archives to add to this countdown. I’m not sure the first time around everyone took me seriously when I waxed poetic about this recipe, so this is my second and final attempt.

Just kidding…I’ll never give up, my friends, never.


The recipe I speak of is The Great Pumpkin Cookie. It’s got the simplicity of a drop cookie with the decadence of an iced beauty. I love the warm flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, especially as the weather chills and snowflakes begin gathering on the windowpanes.


And it’s a great contrast to the traditional cookie platter residents: iced sugar cookies, peanut butter blossoms, homemade fudge, and chocolate chip cookies. It changes things up, keeps people on their toes.


Oh, and as a bonus, it's knock-your-socks-off delicious.


Great Pumpkin Cookies

Cookies:
1 c. butter, softened
½ c. white sugar
½ c. packed brown sugar
1 c. canned or fresh pumpkin (if you’re using fresh, make sure you squeeze out as much moisture from it as possible before adding to the batter)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp. salt
¾ c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Penuche Glaze:
3 tbsp. butter
½ c. packed dark brown sugar
¼ c. milk
½ to 2 c. powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

For the cookies, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Blend in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla. Mix in flour, soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and nuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls 3-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden around the edges. Lift warm cookies from baking sheet with spatula, and transfer to racks. Cool about 30 minutes, then spread with glaze.

For the glaze, heat butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan until bubbly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute until slightly thickened. Beat in milk. Blend in enough powdered sugar to make glaze a smooth, spreadable consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment