Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cookie Countdown Day 3: Mimi's Wedding Cookies

Looking back to my childhood, I would have never labeled my grandma as a “baker”. Yes, the woman could make a mean Coconut Snowball Cake, but her gifting laid more in the arena of fried chicken and gravy. My grandma was a no-nonsense kind of woman and she stuck to what she knew. What she made, she made well, and while she didn’t often do a lot of baking, one plate of cookies you could certainly count on her bringing to Christmas dinner was her Wedding Cookies.

If you don’t know them by name, I’m sure you know them by sight (my sister-in-law refers to them as “the little white bally thingies”). But whatever you call them, the consensus usually is that if you like butter, sugar, and nuts, you’ll love these. So today I give to you my dear old Mimi’s recipe. Enjoy!


Mimi’s Wedding Cookies


1 c. butter


½ c. powdered sugar


2 c. flour


¾ c. pecans


1 tsp. vanilla


½ tsp. salt


Additional powdered sugar to roll baked cookies in


Mix ingredients together and chill for 15 minutes. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min, or just until cookies are beginning to brown. Remove from tray to cool briefly. When cool enough to handle, roll in powdered sugar, then cool completely, and reroll in powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. You're killin' me with all these cookie recipes! ;) Can't wait to try these White Thingys!!

    ReplyDelete